Information for Medical Professionals
Please make sure your patients are aware of these vaccine options.
We are appealing to all providers in Shasta County to do your part as leaders in our community to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and keep yourselves, your staff and your patients safe.
Read the joint statement from North Valley Medical Association Board of Directors and Shasta County Public Health.
If you are a mandated reporter and observe child abuse, please use our Suspected Child Abuse Report form.
Shasta County HHSA's Mobile Vaccination Team provides access to COVID-19 vaccines for individuals not able to use other clinic options. The Mobile Vaccination Team Referral Form provides detailed criteria for determining eligibility. If you think a patient or site may be eligible for a mobile visit, please submit a referral to DOC45@co.shasta.ca.us.
What Healthcare Personnel Should Know
Local Contact Information for Reporting and Testing COVID-19
Shasta County Public Health Lab web portal application: Please complete and return this form by email to HHSAPHLab@co.shasta.ca.us or by fax to 530-225-5061.
Report any suspected Patient Under Investigation (PUI) immediately to Shasta County Health and Human Services Agency, Public Health Branch:
- (530) 225-5591 during business hours
- (530) 339-9940 after hours, weekends and holidays
Staff will assist with questions about PUI criteria and testing. For questions about specimen packaging and handling, contact the Public Health lab at (530) 225-5072.
Confidential Morbidity Report for COVID-19
COVID-19 sequencing request form
Shasta County COVID-19 Health Advisories and Updates
1/26/2021 - Health Update #30: Authorization of Paxlovid and Molnupiravir for Oral Treatment of Mild to Moderate COVID-19 in Shasta County
12/22/2021 - Health Update #29: Monoclonal Antibody Therapy Resources in Shasta County
12/15/2021 - Health Advisory #29: Encourage Vaccinations and Boosters
11/17/2021 - Health Update #28: COVID-19 Vaccines for Children and Adolescents
09/14/2021 - Health Update #27: California Department of Public Health (CDPH) 2021/22 K-12 School Guidance
8/19/2021 – Health Advisory #27: Third Dose mRNA Vaccine for Immunocompromised Individuals
4/30/2021 - Health Advisory #26: Vaccine Hesitancy and Jannsens Pause and Johnson & Johnson Information to Share with Patients
4/22/2021 - Health Advisory #25: COVID-19 Mobile Vaccination Team
3/16/2021 – Health Advisory #24 COVID-19 Vaccination FAQ’s
3/12/2021 – Health Advisory #23 Whole Genome Sequencing for SARS-CoV-2 Variants
1/11/2021 - Health Advisory #22 COVID-19 Vaccination of Healthcare Personnel
Articles about the increased importance of influenza vaccine during the COVID-19 pandemic
12/30/2020 - Health Advisory #21 Quarantine Duration Update
11/20/2020 - Health Advisory #20: Testing Updates and COVID-19 reporting
10/15/2020 - Health Advisory #19: Preventing COVID-19 Transmission in Skilled Nursing and Assisted Living Facilities
09/24/2020 - Health Update #18 Health Officer Flu Vaccine Requirement Rescinded and Frequently Asked Questions: Influenza Vaccination During COVID-19
09/14/2020 - Health Update #17: School Protocols Superseded by Health Update #27, 09/14/2021
09/10/2020 - Health Advisory #16.3: Visitation in Skilled Nursing Facilities - Updated 07/15/2021
08/19/2020 - Health Advisory #15: COVID-19 Testing Updates
06/19/2020 - Health Update #14: Masks and face coverings
05/27/2020 - Health Advisory #13: Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C), laboratory testing, and universal source control
05/07/2020 - Health Advisory #12: COVID 19 Health Advisory #12 050720
04/20/2020 - Alert #11: Lab Prioritization Criteria Advisory Update
04/08/2020 - Alert #10: Recommendations for more widespread testing for COVID-19
03/27/2020 - Alert #9: COVID-19 PPE Health Advisory
03/27/2020 - Alert #8: Lab Prioritization Criteria Advisory Update
03/16/2020 - Alert #7: COVID-19 Lab Prioritization Criteria Advisory - With commercial laboratories becoming available to conduct testing for COVID-19, Shasta County Public Health (SCPH) is focusing its limited testing resources on the at-risk population.
03/05/2020 - Alert #6: COVID-19 Health Advisory for Medical Professionals - The purpose of this Health Advisory is to reiterate local procedures and advise health care providers of new guidance released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Updated criteria for evaluating and reporting Persons Under Investigation (PUI).
- Process to submit specimens to Shasta County Public Health (SCPH) for testing
02/28/2020 - Alert #5: COVID-19 Health Advisory for Medical Professionals - The purpose of this Health Advisory is to reiterate local procedures and advise health care providers of new guidance released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as follows:
- Risk assessment and initial management of patients with respiratory illness
- Updated criteria for evaluating and reporting Persons Under Investigation (PUI)
- Process to submit specimens to Shasta County Public Health for testing
- CDC Health Update February 28, 2020
- Updated CDC and facilities guidance
02/13/2020 - Alert #4: COVID-19 Health Advisory for Medical Providers - The purpose of this alert is to advise health care providers of new guidance released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) since the February 4th health alert released by Shasta County Health and Human Services Agency, Public Health Branch, including:
- Interim U.S. Guidance for Risk Assessment and Public Health Management of Healthcare Personnel with Potential Exposure in a Healthcare Setting to Patients with 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV);
- Interim Guidance for Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Systems and 911 Public Safety Answering Points (PSAPs) for 2019-nCoV in the United States; and
- Recommendations for use of the Healthcare Supply of Personal Protective Equipment, including
- Strategies for Optimizing the Supply of N95 Respirators.
02/04/2020 - Alert #3: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Health Advisory for Medical Professionals - Since the January 31st health alert released by Shasta County Health and Human Services Agency, Public Health Branch, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has released:
- An update to its interim infection prevention and control recommendations for 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
- Interim clinical guidance for management of patients with confirmed 2019-nCoV infection.
- Guidance for risk assessment and public health management of persons with potential 2019-nCoV exposure in travel-associated or community settings.
- A flow chart to identify and assess patients who are ill or exposed to 2019-nCoV (attached).
01/31/2020 - Alert #2: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Health Advisory for Medical Professionals - Since the January 28th health alert, the criteria for a Patient Under Investigation (PUI) for 2019 Wuhan Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has been updated.
01/28/2020 - Alert #1: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Health Advisory for Medical Professionals - Key messages:
- Collect travel history on all patients presenting with fever and acute respiratory illness.
- Known risks at this time for 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) include travel to Wuhan, China or close contact with a confirmed case or Patient Under Investigation (PUI) for 2019-nCoV. *Please note: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) may be expanding the PUI criteria to include other/all areas of China. Please watch for updates at the link below.
- Contact Shasta County Health and Human Services Agency, Public Health Branch to report PUIs and arrange for testing. Currently all testing for 2019-nCoV is being conducted at CDC.
- Refer to the CDC for updates in criteria for evaluation of PUI as the situation unfolds. Refer to the CDC for updates to its interim healthcare infection prevention and control recommendations for Patients Under Investigation for 2019-nCoV.
- Review procedures for collection of laboratory specimens for 2019-nCoV testing and laboratory biosafety guidelines.