Celebrating the holidays more safely
In the era of COVID, there is no such thing as a perfectly safe way for people from multiple households to gather – family or not. Getting together with people outside your household is risky business. But there are ways to reduce the health risks to you and the people you care about by weighing the risks of gathering against the potential benefits.
To clarify, minimizing your risk does not eliminate your risk. When it comes to COVID, there are no guarantees. The key is to know the risks, make a plan, and commit to sticking to the plan. Yes, it will be hard. It will take commitment from everyone who will be attending. If we all commit to keeping risk levels low, we can have gatherings that are safe and joyful.
Fun and safe ways to celebrate the holidays
- Share a family recipe
- Invite your extended family to join you for a virtual dinner party - you can join loved ones from across the country without leaving your home
- Virtual ugly sweater contest
- Virtual funny Santa hat contest
- Secret Santa - exchange gifts through the mail, and have an online party while you open them
- Adopt a family, or donate toys, gifts or cash to your favorite nonprofit
- Abominable Snowman Virtual Bingo - provide emailed BINGO cards and send a number via email each day
- Virtual tree decorating contest
- Virtual gingerbread house contest
- Build a snowman on one of your home or office walls using words of encouragement, strength, hope, compassion, etc.
- Crank up that holiday music!