Domestic Violence

You have the right not to be battered or sexually assaulted. When someone is physically or sexually abusive to you, they are committing a crime, even if they are a spouse, partner, or a boyfriend/girlfriend.

If you have been physically or sexually assaulted, you may:

  • Contact One SAFE Place for support.
  • Report it to law enforcement.
  • Make a police report, which may include an exam at the hospital to collect evidence. Stay in contact with the investigating officer.
  • Obtain a copy of the report.
  • Request that the District Attorney file a criminal complaint. The report will be sent to the D.A., who will decide whether or not to prosecute the case. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU UNDERSTAND THAT THE D.A. FILES CHARGES AGAINST YOUR ASSAILANT, YOU DO NOT!!!

One SAFE Place is a nonprofit agency providing services to domestic violence and sexual assault victims and their families. You can reach them by calling (530) 244-0117, available 24 hours a day. They are located at 2250 Benton Drive, Redding, CA 96003.

WARNING: Even if your assailant is arrested, they may be released at any time. Call One SAFE Place at 244-0117 if you wish to be notified when your assailant is released.