Customer Service Center for CalFresh, Medi-Cal, and other aid programs:

Phone: 1-877-652-0731

Mailing Address:
PO Box 496005
Redding, CA 96049-6005

Drop-off Locations:
HHSA Offices

General HHSA Information:

2615 Breslauer Way,
Redding, CA 96001

General Phone: (530) 229-8400
Toll Free: (800) 479-8009
TTY: 711

Email: HHSA



Your Privacy Rights

Civil Rights Discrimination

A civil rights or a discrimination complaint is different than requesting a fair hearing. Some people confuse filing a fair hearing with a civil rights complaint or a discrimination complaint.

California county welfare departments may not discriminate against you on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, disability, marital status or age. This means that these agencies must provide the same aid, benefits and services to all individuals and groups, except as authorized by federal or state law or the Governor's executive order.

If you believe that you have been discriminated against, you may take one or all of the following actions:

  1. You may talk with the county welfare department's Civil Rights Coordinator. State the basis of the discrimination (for example, age, race, sex), the specific allegation (who, what, when) and the resolution you are seeking.

    Shasta County's Civil Rights Coordinator:
     Carrie Thomas, (530) 225-5097

    You have 180 days from the date the alleged discrimination occurred to make a complaint or request an investigation. If the representative fails to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction, you may request an investigation. The county will investigate the complaint and inform you of the outcome.

  2. You may file a discrimination complaint with CDSS by email, writing or calling:

    California Department of Social Services
    Civil Rights Bureau (CRB)
    744 P Street, M.S. 15-70
    Sacramento, CA 95814

    Or call collect:
    (916) 654-2107
    Email address: crb@dss.ca.gov

    TDD/TTY Users may call direct: (916) 654-2098 or toll free by calling (888) 741-6241.

  3. You may also file a discrimination complaint with the appropriate federal agency.

    If your discrimination complaint involves the Food Stamp Program, write to:

    U.S. Department of Agriculture
    14th & Independence Avenue SW
    Administration Building
    Washington D.C. 20250

    For all other discrimination complaints relating to any other public assistance programs, write to:

    U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
    Office of Civil Rights
    50 United Nations Plaza
    San Francisco, CA 94102

 State of California DSS Web Site, State Hearings Web Site, State of California DSS Civil Rights Bureau

Search Shasta County

Service Referral Guide

Food Facility Inspections

Inmate Custody Search

Need Help Fast?

Child Abuse Hotline:

24-hr mental health:
530-225-5252 or 888-385-5201

Suicide help:

Elder Abuse Hotline:

Report Communicable Disease

Newsletter Signup

Sign up for our Email Newsletter. Enter your email address below.