Contact Information

1855 Placer Street
Redding, CA 96001
Phone: (530) 225-5761
within Shasta County:
   (800) 528-2850
Fax: (530) 245-6468

Office Hours
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Monday through Friday

Building Division

Richard W. Simon, AICP, Director
Dale J. Fletcher, C.B.O., Building Official/Assistant Director

1855 Placer Street, Suite 102
Redding, California 96001
Phone: (530) 225-5761
Fax: (530) 245-6468
Inspection Request Line: (530) 244-5068

The Building Division's (BD) primary function is to safeguard the life, health, and property of Shasta County residents through the application of uniform building standards. These standards involve design, materials, construction, use, occupancy, and location of all buildings and structures within the unincorporated area of the County. The BD strives to implement these standards in a fair and consistent fashion while maintaining an open dialogue with the various building trades. Plan reviews, permits, and inspections for structural, electrical, plumbing and mechanical as well as miscellaneous items (signs, fences, mobile home or manufactured home setups) are provided through this Division. The BD additionally serves as the code enforcement arm of the Department providing follow-up on all complaints of zoning and building code violations registered with this Division.

General building questions and comments may be emailed to:  Responses may take up to 72 hours.

The Department of Resource Management is preparing for the adoption of the 2016 California Codes


The 2016 California Building Code will be in effect on January 1, 2017 and in preparation for the code changes, the Department of Resource Management is providing an opportunity for owner’s and contractor’s to defer design and structural elements for a submittal to be recognized under the existing 2013 California Codes. In order for your project to be reviewed under the 2013 California Building Code the following items must be submitted prior to 4:30 pm on Friday, December 30, 2016.

** Application filing fee (all or a portion of the fee will be non-refundable)
Completed Building Permit Application
Completed Owner Builder Form
2 Complete Sets of Plans
2 Additional (Separate) Floor Plan
7 Plot Plans- 2 must be stamped by Fire District if Not CALFIRE Area

2 Sets of Title 24 Energy Calculations
2 Sets of Truss Calculations
2 Sets of Engineering (if required)
2 Copies of Grading/Erosion Control Plan
Legal Creation Documents for undeveloped parcels

** No processing or review will occur until the application is complete, which includes the Required Submittal Items and Deferred Submittal Items listed. Any deferred submittal items must be submitted within 6 months of the application date.


In an effort to process a high-volume and backlog of existing applications, the Department of Resource Management will be unable to process or accept new permit application submittals on Wednesdays, until further notice.  During this time, our lobby will remain open on Wednesdays for dispensing general information and issuing of permits only.  We apologize for any inconvenience during this time.


Link to the State of California MH Alterations and Permit Guidelines

Ordinance 16-001 - Medical Marijuana Delivery and Cultivation

Notice of Fee Increase - Development Impact Fees - Effective 07/01/2017

New EPA Regulation on Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP)

Shasta County Policy Regarding SB 407 - Water Conserving Plumbing Fixtures - January 2014

2014-2015 Public Facilities Impact Fee Report
NOTICE 11/16/2012:
  Medical Marijuana cultivation complaints need to be in writing and delivered to Resource Management, located at 1855 Placer Street, Redding CA. Once the complaint is received and recorded, Resource Management will forward the document to the proper enforcement individuals.

Residential Fire Sprinkler Submittal 2013 CRC

On-Line Building Permits for Contractors


We are experiencing technical difficulties with our web-based permit application site.  We are aware of the problem and are working to fix it as soon as possible. In the meantime, you can still download and print applications from the permit site or from Resource Management’s main website at  You can mail them in with appropriate fees, or deliver them with fees in person to the Permit Counter at 1855 Placer Street in Redding.  Once your permit is ready to issue, you will receive a call from one of our staff here at Shasta County Resource Management.  We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

Search Shasta County

Service Referral Guide

Food Facility Inspections

Inmate Custody Search