Locate Noncustodial Parent

To get a support order, establish parentage, or enforce a support order, the DCSS must know where the noncustodial parent lives and/or works. By providing the DCSS with as much information as possible, the custodial parent can help locate the noncustodial parent and speed up the child support process. See the Opening a Case page for a list of the information the DCSS will need to expedite the case process.

If the noncustodial parent cannot be found locally, his or her Social Security number will be checked against the records of other state agencies including the Department of Health Services, Department of Motor Vehicles, Employment Development Department, Franchise Tax Board, Board of Equalization, credit reporting agencies, and law enforcement agencies. If the search reveals that the parent has moved to another state, the other state and the Federal Parent Locator Service will be asked to search for the parent.