About DCSS

"Quality Service and Respect"

Our mission is to collect and disburse child support payments while giving quality service and respect to those we serve.

Who We Are

The Child Support Enforcement Program, authorized under Title IV-D of the Social Security Act, provides services to assist parents in their mutual obligation to financially support and provide health insurance for their child(ren). The Shasta County Department of Child Support Services, is the local child support enforcement agency for all of Shasta County.

What We Do

The Department of Child Support Services provides the following services:

  • Establishing Parentage
  • Locating a parent to establish parentage and/or child support, and enforcing payment of support
  • Establishing, modifying, and enforcing a court order to pay child support
  • Collecting child and spousal support payments
  • Establishing and enforcing medical support and family support orders

What We Can't Do

The Department of Child Support Services can't help you with:

  • Handling custody or visitation matters
  • Handling divorces
  • Obtaining or enforcing restraining orders
  • Establishing spousal support orders

What You Can Do

Things you can do to help your case:

  • Let us know the noncustodial parent's Social Security Number - it is our most valuable piece of information.
  • Let us know if you hear that the noncustodial parent has a new address, telephone number, or employer.
  • Let us know if you go to court and custody is changed or if the amount of child support to be paid is changed.
  • Let us know when you move and always make sure that we have a daytime telephone number so we can reach you.
  • The California Department of Social Services will notify us if aid is discontinued. We will continue to enforce your case unless you notify us in writing that you want our services stopped.
  • Let us know if you receive a direct payment of child or spousal support from the noncustodial parent. If you are receiving CalWORKS benefits you are required by law to mail the direct payment to us. If you are not receiving CalWORKS benefits, we request that you bring or mail the payment to us so your account will be accurate.
  • Utilize Customer Connect at https://childsupport.ca.gov/customer-connect/ or 1-866-901-3212, to obtain information about payments made and received, account balances and appointment times.  You can also use Customer Connect to update information on your case, such as a change of address. 

Like private attorneys, we expect and require your full cooperation and assistance. We do not know the other parent as well as you do and your knowledge, if relevant to collecting support, is important to us.