NurseryShasta County Department of Agriculture works in close cooperation with local production, wholesale, and retail nurseries to maintain the high standards synonymous with California nursery stock. Inspections are performed on a regular basis to assure Shasta County nursery stock is commercially clean of pests, weeds, and diseases.

A nursery license issued from the California Department of Food and Agriculture is required to sell plants in California. Fees for these licenses start at $150.00. If you have minimal stock of your own production, all of your stock is sold within Shasta County, and your sales do not exceed $1,000.00 a year, you may qualify for a fee-exempt nursery license.

Nurseries wishing to send plants out of state or into other areas requiring quarantine compliance may apply for a Nursery Stock Certificate through our office. After an inspection of the nursery and a rating of "commercially clean", a nursery stock certificate may be obtained assuring receivers that the stock they are purchasing is of high quality. Growers intending to sell agricultural commodities out of the country should contact our Department prior to planting regarding phytosanitary certification. We work closely with growers to assure quarantine compliance with overseas markets from planting preparation through harvest.

Shasta County Fee Exempt Nursery License Application

Shasta County Nursery License Application

Shasta County Nursery Stock Fact Sheet

Nursery & Phytosanitary Links

Nursery & Phytosanitary FAQs

How much does a License To Sell Nursery Stock cost?

The minimum License Fee is $150. It is required for each branch sales yard, store or sales location owned and operated in the state of California. A location where nursery stock is grown or assembled for distribution directly to customers is a branch sales yard, store or sales location and requires an additional license. In addition, an acreage fee is required for land in excess of one acre used in the production, storage, or sale of nursery stock. The acreage fee established by the Secretary may not be less than $50 nor more than $500. In calculating the acreage fee, the total acreage of all branch sales or growing-place locations shall be used. Please calculate your acreage fee from the schedule on the license application. The applicant may be eligible for a Fee-Exempt Nursery License if your production and sales are only in Shasta County and will not exceed $1,000 in a year.

How long is the License valid?

The License To Sell Nursery Stock is issued for a 12-month period. There are four such 12-month periods: January through December, April through March; July through June; and October through September. New licenses are issued for the license period commencing nearest to the date of receipt of the application. The License must be renewed not later than the 10th day of the first month of the licensee's license period. If the fee is not received by the date, the license is forfeited and thereafter can be renewed only upon payment of the penalty in the form of a registration fee, or upon the receipt of a signed statement that no nursery stock was sold from the first day of the license period to the date the regular fee was paid.

How long will the process take?

Upon receipt of your correct fees and completed license application, the Shasta County Agricultural Commissioner will be notified of your intent to sell nursery stock by the issuance to us of your temporary authorization to sell nursery stock. We will then contact you, inspecting any nursery stock present and reviewing with you the laws and regulations pertaining to sales of nursery stock. If all requirements are met, your permanent license to sell nursery stock will then be mailed to you as soon as possible. The entire process usually takes four to six weeks from receipt of your application.

Is the License To Sell Nursery Stock transferable?

The license is issued to the person (which includes, firm, corporation, company, or association) operating the business where nursery stock is sold. The License is not transferable to another person. The fee for a new license is due at the time any change in ownership occurs.

I want to ship plants to another State, what's required?

The certification requirements of other states vary widely depending on the product. The National Plant Board maintains a listing of current state requirements. If you believe your product will require certification, please contact our office and we will arrange for a review of the regulations, inspection of your items, and we can officially monitor any required pesticide treatments. Please see our fee schedule for services.

If you have determined that you need a certificate, you may complete the Quarantine Compliance State Phyto/Certificate Application.

I want to ship plants to another country, what's required?

In order to ship nursery stock to other countries it is necessary to obtain a Phytosanitary Certificate, issued by our office. If you are new to the process, please call our office for more information. Please see our fee schedule for services. An online database which lists product summaries for foreign countries is called PExD and is located on the PCIT website. You may subscribe to this service via the website or you may contact our office for assistance with foreign requirements. In order to apply for a phytosanitary certificate, you may sign up at the USDA's PCIT website.

General Shasta County Phytosanitary Certificate Application

Strawberry Phytosanitary Application Addendum