The Shasta County Department of Agriculture provides regulatory services to the apiary industry, helping to safeguard the health of the hives and the vitality of beekeeping in our county.

We also act as liaison between beekeepers and other members of the community.

Some of our duties include:

  • Inspection for pests and diseases (including Foul Brood, Acarine Mites, Varroa Mites, Small Hive Beetles, etc...)
  • Issuance of shipping certificates
  • Hive registration
  • Provide for notification of insecticide applications in the vicinity of hives
  • Hive strength inspections
  • Follow up homeowner complaints
  • Investigate possible Africanized Bees
  • Maintain a list of beekeepers who will collect a swarm

   Apiary Forms / Links




Apiary FAQs

How should an apiary be identified?

  • Each apiary shall have a sign displayed on the entrance side of the apiary. The sign shall contain the owner's name, address, and telephone number in black lettering not less than one inch (1") high on a background of contrasting color.
  • If located at the owner's residence, an apiary does not need a sign.

How must water be provided to the apiaries?

  • By a natural water supply within ½ mile, or closer than an artificial water source owned by a non-consenting party; or
  • The apiary owner must provide an artificial water source within 50 yards of the apiary.

Where do I report a loose swarm or nuisance bees?

Answer: The Shasta County Department of Agriculture maintains a "Swarm List" of professional beekeepers who will respond to a loose swarm. Please contact us if you would like to be added to the list.

Will you remove bees from my property?

Answer: Shasta County does not remove bees from private property. Removal of bees from private property is the homeowner's responsibility. We will assist you by contacting beekeepers on our "Swarm List". Otherwise, you may contact a pest control company. We do not recommend that you attempt to remove bees yourself. The bees may become agitated and you and/or others may be stung.

Who must register beehives in Shasta County?

  • Anyone having one or more hives in the county;
  • Anyone acquiring beehives at any time during the year; or
  • Anyone bringing hives into the county from out-of-state must register within 30 days.

Where and how must these beehives be registered?

Answer: In writing, on an Apiary Registration form, obtained above (Apiary Registration form) or from our office.

Why must beehives be registered?

Answer: To provide a means to control diseases or pests in the event of an outbreak within the county.

What does it cost to register?

Answer: There is an annual $10 registration fee for all beekeepers. However, hobbyists not in the business of beekeeping and possessing fewer than 10 colonies are exempt from this fee.

If you are registering a nucleus yard in the county, there is an $11.00 registration fee for each yard registered.  

The following applies to those who have registered for pesticide notification:

  • Apiaries must be properly registered with Shasta County Department of Agriculture by January 1 each year.
  • The Request for Pesticide Notification form may be obtained above (Apiary Registration form), or from our office, and must be returned to the Shasta County Department of Agriculture, fully completed and signed. Apiary locations should be described with no more detail than in Section, Township, and Range for the beekeeper's own protection.
  • Proper "Apiary Movement Notices" are to be filed in writing with the Shasta County Department of Agriculture 72-hours before movement of the apiaries.
  • The Request for Pesticide Notification expires on December 31 each year.

How do I properly locate my hives?

  • Apiaries are to be placed at least 300' from any house other than the owner's;
  • Apiaries are to be placed 100' from a public highway; and
  • Permission must be obtained from the landowner when locating hives on other's property.
  • Not within one mile of a registered Nucleus yard. 

When is notification of movement required by the Shasta County Department of Agriculture?

  • When disease has been found in that apiary in the preceding 60 days;
  • When the apiarist has registered a Request of Pesticide Notification.

Are beehives allowed within city limits?

Answer: The city of Anderson does not allow beekeeping within the city limits.  The city of Redding does allow bee keeping within its city limits pursuant to this code section: 7.08.010.  Review the code section to see if your current situation meets their requirements.  Please check with all other city governments regarding their apiary regulations.

I spray pesticides on my agricultural fields. Is there anything I should be concerned with regarding bees?

Answer:Yes. Please see more information about Beekeeper Notification.

I want to control mites on my bees. What do I do?

Answer: Bees are an agricultural commodity and pesticides used to control parasites are reportable. More information about pesticide use/permitting.