The Shasta County jail is a high security local detention facility used for the detention of persons pending arraignment, during trial, and upon a sentence of commitment. This facility can hold up to 381 prisoners; 317 males and 64 females. The facility is attached to the Justice Center, the Municipal and Superior Courts of Shasta County and is located at 1655 West Street, Redding. The Main Jail facility continues to be an ever-changing, increasingly more efficient component of the Sheriff´s Office. The Custody Division personnel and administration, strive to work together to improve the efficient operation of the facility and to provide continual upgrades, enhancing the facility´s use to the community it serves.
Bail Or Bond
To bail a person out of jail using U.S. currency, you must have the exact dollar amount. You can write a verifiable personal check up to $1000, or you can obtain a cashier´s check or money order for the exact dollar amount. The personal check, cashier´s check, or money order shall be made out to the Shasta County Sheriff´s Office. You should bring the money or check to the reception area of the Main Jail Facility at 1655 West Street, Redding. To bond a person out of jail, you should select a bail bond agency of your choice (see the yellow pages of the Telephone Directory). You may telephone the bail bondsman and provide the necessary information. The bail bondsman will explain their process. To bail or bond a person out of jail you must obtain the charge and bail amount from the custody staff. To speak with the custody staff, call (530) 245-6100 and follow the instructions.
To visit an inmate at the main jail facility you must first contact the reception officer who will provide you with the inmate's visitation schedule. Each inmate at the facility can have up to two scheduled visits; inmate workers are allowed three visits. The visiting schedule is posted in the jail lobby located at 1655 West Street in Redding. The visiting hours are generally 8:30 am to 11:30 am and 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm, 7 days per week; an additional period of 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm is available on weekends. The following visiting rules are clearly posted in the jail lobby.
- Each visitor will be required to fill out a visitor´s slip
- Visitors must be 18 years of age or accompanied by a parent or legal guardian
- Visitors are to have verifiable identification; for example, a California Driver´s license
- No smoking is allowed inside the jail
- No purses, packages, or carry in items are allowed inside the jail
- No packages, books, or mail accepted for inmates
- Money placed on an inmate's commissary account must be a minimum of $5.00
- No foreign coins or money is accepted
- Maximum of 2 visitors per inmate visit; visits are two times weekly, one per visiting day, each visit is 30 minutes; inmate workers are allowed one hour
- Anyone visiting the jail is subject to search of their person and/or property and must pass through a metal detector prior to entering the secure visiting area
- No photographic equipment is allowed inside the jail
View the visiting schedule.
Inmates place their commissary orders every Sunday. They may purchase a maximum of one hundred dollars ($100) worth of commissary goods per week. Funds must be deposited in the inmate's account before 8:00am on Monday. Funds being placed on an inmate's commissary account can be made on the kiosk, online, or the toll free number. The ACCESS Secured Deposit kiosk is located in the jail lobby at 1655 West Street Redding, California 96001. The kiosk will accept cash, credit card, or debit card. Money can also be added onto an inmate commissary account online at www.inmatedeposits.com or on the toll free number 1-866-345-1884. Deposits by mail will no longer be accepted.