To obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate by coming to the Recorder's office or by mail you must be an authorized applicant pursuant to Health and Safety Code §103526.
In order to qualify, you must be:
- The applicant (person listed on the certificate) or parent or legal guardian of the applicant
- A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, or an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the birth record in order to comply with the requirements of §3140 of 7603 fo the Family Code
- A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business (companies representing a governmental agency must provide authorization from the government agency)
- A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse or domestic partner of the applicant
- An attorney representing the applicant of the applicant's estate, of any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the applicant or the applicant's estate.
The following information will be needed to locate the record:
- The full name of the child
- The child's date of birth
- The mother's full maiden name
- The father's full name
- The child's place of birth
- The complete address where the copy is to be mailed, if applicable
- Signed, sworn statement, with Notary acknowledgement if by mail, or signed in the presence of a member of the Shasta County Recorder's staff
Obtain Birth Certificate Application
Want to order with a credit card?
Shasta County Recorder does not accept credit cards or online orders; however, for your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that we have partnered with to provide you this service VitalChek Network, Inc. VitalChek can be reached either through its website, www.vitalchek.com, or VitalChek. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® or Visa®.
Submit your request with your check/money order in the amount of $28.00 payable to the Shasta County Recorder - do not send cash.
Shasta County Recorder's Office
1450 Court Street, Suite 208
Redding, CA 96001- 1670
The cost for searching a record is not refundable if the record is not found.
Please allow 10 working days, after receipt, to process your request.