The Fall River Mills airport is located at an elevation of 3,323 feet in the Fall river Valley, 70 miles northeast of Redding, California. The Fall River Valley is primarily an agricultural community, however, it offers spectacular world class catch and release trout fly-fishing on the scenic Fall River, and a world class golf course, Fall River Valley Golf and Country Club, is located just minutes from the Fall River Airport. Annual community events include Airport Days, Wild Rice Festival, Inter-Mountain Fair and the Parade of Lights. There are also many natural attractions: Ahjumawi Lava Springs, Burney Falls, Subway Cave, Lassen Volcanic National Park, Hat Creek Campground and Crystal Lake fish hatchery.
A fantastic aerial view of the Fall River Mills Airport
The airport was originally built in the 1940’s as a location to train pilots for action in World War II. Over the years, the airport has been maintained and upgraded largely due to funding provided from the State of California Aeronautics Program and the Federal Aviation Administration. Today the airport has nine permanent T-hangers, five portable hangers, 30 tie-downs and provides aviation fuel sales. The airport is equipped with runway lights which are designed to be turned on at night by the pilots as they approach the airport. There is also an AWOS II to assist pilots in receiving accurate and up-to-date weather information.
Fall River Mills Airport Area Services and Information
- AVGAS is available. No jet fuel is available. Prices vary.
- 5000 foot runway with 30,000lb weight bearing capacity, but there are unimproved areas (old apron and a northern taxiway connector) with a 12,500lb capacity. Pilots fly and land at their own risk.
- Single engine - $4; Twin engine - $5
- Hangar Leases:
- Hangars are leased to individuals on a yearly basis at $200 a month. Currently, there is a waiting list for hangars. If you are interested in leasing a hangar, contact the Airport Manager at (530) 225-5661 to place your name on the list for a $100 deposit.
- Car Rental:
- Highway Garage
Call Georgina at (530) 336-5532
1988 Mercury Marquis: $40
1993 Explorer: $55
If you call ahead of time she will reserve the vehicle for you and have it at the airport awaiting your arrival.
- Shuttle from Airport to Golf Course:
- For your convenience, shuttle service is available from the airport to the Golf Course. To take advantage of this service please give advance notice by calling (530) 336-5555.
- Parking at the Airport:
- Parking is available at the airport for a fee of $100 per year.
- AWOS Line:
- The AWOS assists pilots in providing up-to-date weather conditions. Call (530) 336-6788 for information.
- There may be airport closures during winter months due to snow on the runway.
- Sheriff’s Flying Posse:
- The Sheriff’s Flying Posse assists with search and rescue missions. The airport pilots’ lounge is their home base. Their activities during the year benefit the airport and local community.
For current airport conditions and closures contact Flight Service Stations at 1-800-WX-BRIEF (1-800-992-7433). Further Information about the airport may be obtained by contacting the Airport Manager, at the Shasta County Department of Public Works, at (530) 225-5661.
Fall River Mills Area Outdoor Attractions
- Ahjumawi Lava Springs:
- located in northeastern Shasta County where it can only be reached by boat. There are over twenty miles of park trails to explore. While exploring the park trails, you will notice that about two-thirds of this state park is covered in lava rocks that are known to be three to five thousands of years old.
- McArthur-Burney Falls Memorial:
- This Park is within the Cascade Range and Modoc Plateau natural region. It contains forest and five miles of streamside and lake shoreline, including a portion of Lake Britton. This state park’s main attraction is a 129 foot water fall.
- Subway Cave:
- Are you ready to explore the underground world of a lava tube? Then Subway Cave is for you. It is a self-guided trail that is approximately 1/3 mile long. The cave is completely dark so bring a flashlight.
- Lassen Volcanic National Park:
- Located within Lassen mountain forests you will find that hissing fumaroles and boiling mud pots still shape and change the surrounding land. The park offers unforgettable sights and over 150 miles of hiking trails.
- Hat Creek Campground:
- Seven campgrounds and four picnic areas are situated along Hat Creek. Only 12 miles east of the northwest entrance of Lassen Volcanic National Park; Stay at Hat Creek and hang out at the Lassen Volcanic National Park all day.
- Crystal Lake Fish Hatchery:
- Brook trout, Eagle Lake trout and Pit River rainbow trout are developed at this hatchery. Once they reach one-half pound they are released as catchable trout. The hatchery annually raises about 1.5 million fish weighing approximately 500,000 pounds.
Annual Fall River Mills Events
- Airport Days:
- A posse-sponsored pancake breakfast is served, with F-15 flybys and many airplane exhibits to browse.
- Wild Rice Festival:
- This is a free admission event. Live entertainment, craft exhibits, food vendors, cook-offs and raffle prizes.
- Inter-Mountain Fair:
- Live entertainment, rodeo, carnival, destruction derby, Jr. Rodeo, displays, and a livestock auction.
- Parade of Lights:
- This is a free admission event. Every year around Christmas, decorated RVs, cars, wagons, etc. participate in the lights parade.
For more information on recreational activities in the Fall River Mills Area, please contact the Fall River Valley Chamber of Commerce at (530) 336-5840 or visit their website at http://www.fallrivervalleycc.org/.
Fall River Mills Airport Days Sweet The annual Airport Days bring many
different sizes and styles of planes.
Helicopter rides available
Hangars are leased to individuals on a yearly basis. Currently, the Shasta County Department of Public Works has a waiting list for hangars. If you are interested in leasing a hangar, contact the Department to place your name on the list. Please note a $100 deposit is required in order to maintain your name on the waiting list.