Join the Stand Against Stigma
The Community Education Committee works to promote mental wellness, increase community awareness of mental health and end the stigma surrounding mental illness and substance abuse. The CEC helps promote the Stand Against Stigma campaign and plan mental health month events in May. CEC also collaborates with Shasta Suicide Prevention.
The CEC is open to all interested members of the public. It meets at 1 p.m. the second Tuesday of every month at the Redding Library Foundation Room, 1100 Parkview Ave.. To be added to the e-mail list, contact Marc Dadigan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Major CEC projects:
- The Brave Faces Portrait Gallery - An ongoing project in which real Shasta County residents who live with mental illness or have been affected by suicide tell their stories of recovery through photographs and oral histories. (Right: Brave Faces advocate Carrie Jo Diamond)
- Minds Matter Resource Fair - Held every May, Minds Matter connects residents with mental health resources and promotes awareness about wellness. Everyone has mental health, and everyone needs to care for their mental health. Watch a short video about the 2015 fair.
- The Hope Is Alive! Open Mic Series - About once a quarter, we collaborate with dozens of local spoken word poets, musicians, rappers and dancers to organize these mental health-themed open mic nights. Hope Is Alive! events have drawn large crowds and incredibly diverse and talented performers. The events show that art and creativity play major roles in dealing with hard times.
Watch a video about how Hope Is Alive! has helped spread awareness about suicide prevention.
- Get Better Together Campaign - This campaign aims to connect 16-25 year-olds with peers who are dealing with heavy issues.
- Stand Against Stigma Speakers Bureau - Often integrated into the Brave Faces Portrait Gallery presentations, the speakers bureau now has 25 trained speakers. They present their stories of recovery from mental illness or the loss of a loved one to suicide. They have presented at more than 300 local venues, ranging from Redding East Rotary to LGBT support groups. See our speaker bios page to learn more about the Brave Faces.
See this Brave Faces fact sheet to learn more about our speaker presentations.
If you're interested in scheduling a presentation for your community group, class or organization, fill out this form.
Catch up with the CEC's meeting notes.
- February 2017 Notes, February Powerpoint
- January 2017 CEC Minutes, January Powerpoints
- December 2016 CEC Minutes, PowerPoint
- November 2016 CEC Minutes, PowerPoint
- October 2016 CEC Minutes, PowerPoint
- September 2016 CEC Minutes, PowerPoint
- August 2016 CEC Minutes, PowerPoint
- July 2016 CEC Minutes, PowerPoint
- June 2016 CEC Minutes PowerPoint
- May 2016 CEC Minutes, PowerPoint
- April 2016 CEC Minutes, PowerPoint
- March 2016 CEC Minutes, PowerPoint
- February 2016, PowerPoint
- January 2016 CEC Minutes, PowerPoint
- December 2015 CEC minutes, PowerPoint