When a family welcomes a new child into the world, it's supposed to be a time of happiness. Yet for many new mothers, maternal depression dampens this joy and can damage their ability to bond with their young child. Post-partum depression and depression during pregnancy are common, but they often go diagnosed.
Public Health recently expanded its Healthy Babies Program to include early mental health efforts (funded by First 5 Shasta), which will help screen women for maternal depression and help them get the resources they need. For more information about this program, call 225-5850 or call (800) 300-5122.
- Learn about depression during and after pregnancy (English and Spanish)
- MedEdPPD.org: Materials for women with postpartum depression (PPD) and their friends and family members. Includes an easy-to-use online diagnostic test, information about the myths and realities of PPD, experiences of real women with PPD, and answers to frequently asked questions. Spanish is also available.
- Postpartum Support International: Postpartum resources for moms and families, including a helpful section for fathers, general information, a bookstore and communication forums. Spanish available (at top of home page, select Espanol and click ‘Translate’). Call 1-800-944-4773.
- Depression After Delivery, Inc.: Information for families coping with mental health issues associated with childbearing.
- March of Dimes: Information in English and Spanish about postpartum depression via the Pregnancy and Newborn Health Education Center. Spanish available.
- Postpartum Education for Parents: Information and practical ideas for new moms and families who are experiencing postpartum depression.
- Postpartumdads.org: A web site for dads whos wives or partners have/had PPD.
- Beyond the Blues:A Guide to Understanding and Treating Prenatal and Postpartum Depression, Shoshana Bennett, Ph.D., Pec Indman, Ed.D., MFT, 2003
- Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression, Brooke Shields, 2005
- It Sucked and Then I Cried, Heather B. Armstrong, 2009
- Behind the Smile. My Journey out of Postpartum Depression, Marie Osmond, 2001
- The Postpartum Husband: Practical Solutions for Living with Postpartum Depression, Karen Kleiman, MSW, 2000
- Postpartum Survival Guide, Ann Dunnewold, Ph.D, Diane G. Sanford, Ph.D 1995