The Healthy Babies Program is committed to helping pregnant women and moms parenting children under age 2 find the right treatment for anxiety and depression by working with them to connect to resources in our community that can help meet their needs.
If you are feeling:
Out of control, irritable, sad, anxious, angry or depressed... You are not alone. You are not to blame. You will feel better and be well with help.
Anxiety and depression are real and treatable. Your mental well-being plays a very important role not only in your own health and happiness but also in the healthy development of your baby. Untreated mental health problems can interfere with the bonding and attachment process with your baby.
The Healthy Babies Program can
- Connect you with appropriate treatment resources
- Offer support and education through our C.A.R.E. (Compassionate Amazing Resilient Empowered women) classes
- Provide tools to strengthen the bond between you and your infant
- Provided monthly ongoing support from a caring Public Health nurse
For more information about this program, contact:
- Learn about depression during and after pregnancy (English and Spanish)
- Postpartum Support International: Postpartum resources for moms and families, including a helpful section for fathers, general information, a bookstore and communication forums. Spanish available (at top of home page, select Espanol and click ‘Translate’). Call 1-800-944-4773.
- March of Dimes: Information in English and Spanish about postpartum depression via the Pregnancy and Newborn Health Education Center. Spanish available.
- Postpartum Education for Parents: Information and practical ideas for new moms and families who are experiencing postpartum depression.
- Postpartumdads.org: A web site for dads whos wives or partners have/had PPD.
- Beyond the Blues:A Guide to Understanding and Treating Prenatal and Postpartum Depression, Shoshana Bennett, Ph.D., Pec Indman, Ed.D., MFT, 2003
- Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression, Brooke Shields, 2005
- It Sucked and Then I Cried, Heather B. Armstrong, 2009
- Behind the Smile. My Journey out of Postpartum Depression, Marie Osmond, 2001
- The Postpartum Husband: Practical Solutions for Living with Postpartum Depression, Karen Kleiman, MSW, 2000
- Postpartum Survival Guide, Ann Dunnewold, Ph.D, Diane G. Sanford, Ph.D 1995