"Human milk is the preferred feeding for all infants, including premature and sick newborns. It is recommended that breastfeeding continue for at least the first 12 months, and thereafter for as long as is mutually desired."
- American Academy of Pediatrics
Breastfeeding is the normal way for you to feed your baby. To help make nursing successful, we offer expert lactation care, services, and classes to support and encourage women throughout their breastfeeding experience. Our program consists of Internally Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLCs), Certified Lactation Educators, and WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselors - who will evaluate you and your baby's feeding style and assist with education and problem-solving.
While breastfeeding is natural and ideal for both mother and baby, sometimes circumstances arise where guidance and support are needed, or simply reassurance that breastfeeding is going well.
WIC Breastfeeding Support
1670 Market St., Suite 300
Email the WIC staff
Walk-in hours: Monday-Friday, 1-4 p.m.
- Telephone assistance to answer brief questions and evaluate the need for a comprehensive consultation
- One-on-one breastfeeding counseling
- Referrals to the WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Program
- Referrals to various agencies within Shasta County to assist new mothers and their families with additional services
- Breast pump rentals
- Technical assistance for businesses or employers who are interested in providing a breastfeeding-friendly area for their employees or customers
Who is eligible?
- All pregnant and/or breastfeeding mothers in Shasta County, including mothers who want to re-lactate or breastfeed an adopted baby
- Support people, including fathers, grandparents and friends
- Medical staff, including physicians, medical office staff, hospital staff, nurses, childbirth educators, lactation professionals and paraprofessionals
- Employers interested in becoming a breastfeeding-friendly business
For after hours breastfeeding support contact:
Mercy Breastfeeding Information Line (530) 225-7439