Beginning January 1, 2017, Shasta County is a Resource Family Approval (RFA) program county. RFA is a streamlined method of assessing caregivers which combines elements of foster care licensing, relative home assessment, adoption assessment, and guardianship assessment into one streamlined process.
What does a Resource Family look like? Just like yours.
Shasta County Resource Homes (previously known as Foster Homes) provide care to children who are experiencing a traumatic event in their lives. These children are dependents of the court, wards of the Juvenile Justice System or voluntarily placed by their parents. Sibling groups are kept together whenever possible. Families with children, childless couples, single people and retirees are among the many types of people who make wonderful caregivers. The commitment ranges from a few weeks to several months or more. Caregivers receive money to help pay for the child’s living expenses and medical care is covered by Medi-Cal. Training and support are provided, and specialized training is offered through a collaborative effort with Shasta College.
Resource Family choices include:
- Temporary caregiving: This allows you to care for children who need a safe and loving place to live while they are waiting to either return home or be adopted.
- Kinship care: Relatives and non-relative extended family members may care for a child.
- Fost-Adopt: This program allows you to become the caregiver of a child that you wish to adopt.
- Respite care: If you aren't ready to take in a child, you can provide respite care for other Resource Families who need a break.
If you or someone you know has room in their heart and home for a child, please contact the Resource Family Approval, Options and Kinship Unit at 225-5554.
Frequently asked questions:
What are the first steps to becoming a Resource Family? Is the Resource Family Approval process difficult? Find these answers and many more.
Interested in becoming a caregiver? Learn more at a Resource Family Approval Orientation meeting. The scheduled dates for 2017 are:
- February 1, 9 am to noon
- February 15, 6 to 9 pm
- March 1, 9 am to noon
- March 15, 6 to 9 pm
- April 5, 9 am to noon
- April 19, 6 to 9 pm
- May 3, 9 am to noon
- May 17, 6 to 9 pm
- June 7, 9 am to noon
- June 21, 6 to 9 pm
- July 5, 9 am to noon
- July 19, 6 to 9 pm
- August 2, 9 am to noon
- August 16, 6 to 9 pm
- September 6, 9 am to noon
- September 20, 6 to 9 pm
- October 4, 9 am to noon
- October 18, 6 to 9 pm
- November 1, 9 am to noon
- November 15, 6 to 9 pm
- December 6, 9 am to noon
- December 20, 6 to 9 pm
Orientation meetings will be held in the McFall Resource and Training Room at 1628 Market Street, Redding, CA 96001.
Call (530) 225-5650 for questions
The next Pre-Approval sessions are:
- January 31 & February 2 from 6 to 9 pm & Saturday, February 4 from 9 am to 4 pm
- March 7 & March 9 from 6 to 9 pm & Saturday, March 11 from 9 am to 4 pm
Pre-Approval is available to those with an application on file and interested in becoming a Resource Family home with the county or those who are currently licensed with Shasta County. Classes are held in McFall Hall at 1628 Market Street. Registration is required prior to attendance. Please contact: (530) 245-6704 to register.
Early Childhood Series: Learn to care for children up to age 5, including those with special needs.
The next ECS sessions are:
- Week 1 - March 14 & March 16 from 6 to 9 pm & Saturday,March 18 from 9 am to 4 pm
- Week 2 - March 21 & March 23 from 6 to 9 pm & Saturday, March 25 from 9 am to 4 pm
School Age Series:
- Week 1 - February 7 & February 9 from 6 to 9 pm & Saturday, February 11 from 9 am to 4 pm
- Week 2 - February 14 & February 16 from 6 to 9 pm & Saturday, February 18 from 9 am to 4 pm
CPR Classes (For current caregiver updates and new caregivers in process of Resource Family Approval)
- February 28 _ 5:30 to 9:30 pm McFall Hall 1628 Market Street
- March 28 _ 5:30 to 9:30 pm McFall Hall 1628 Market Street
Resource Family Approval (Foster care licensing services):
Located in the Clinical and Permanency Services Office
1620 Market Street, Redding, CA 96001
Contact: (530) 225-5650
Foster Parent Resource Page