What does a foster family look like? Just like yours.
Shasta County Foster Homes provide care to children who are experiencing a traumatic event in their lives. These children are dependents of the court, wards of the Juvenile Justice System or voluntarily placed by their parents. Sibling groups are kept together whenever possible. Families with children, childless couples, single people and retirees are among the many types of people who make wonderful foster families. The commitment ranges from a few weeks to several months or more. Foster parents receive money to help pay for the child’s living expenses and medical care is covered by Medi-Cal. Training and support are provided, and specialized training is offered through a collaborative effort with Shasta College.
Foster parenting choices include:
- Temporary foster care: This allows you to care for children who need a safe and loving place to live while they are waiting to either return home or be adopted.
- Kinship care: Relatives and non-relative extended family members may care for a child in foster care.
- Fost-Adopt: This program allows you to become the foster parent of a child that you wish to adopt.
- Respite care: If you aren't ready to take in a foster child, you can provide respite care for other foster families who need a break.
If you or someone you know has room in their heart and home for a child, please contact Tammy Ledford or Diana Leland, or call 225-5554.
Frequently asked questions:
What are the first steps to becoming a foster parent? Is the foster care licensing process difficult? Find these answers and many more.
Options: Learn to care for children up to age 5, including those with special needs.
Interested in foster care? Learn more about the process of becoming a foster parent at our monthly inquiry meetings.
Upcoming meetings in 2013 are:
- Tuesday, June 18th, 9:30 am
- Wednesday, July 3rd, 6:30 pm
- Tuesday, July 16th, 9:30 am
- Wednesday, August 7th, 6:30 pm
- Tuesday, August 20th, 9:30 am
- Wednesday, September 4th, 6:30 pm
- Tuesday, September 17th, 9:30 am
- Wednesday, October 2nd, 6:30 pm
- Tuesday, October 15th, 9:30 am
- Wednesday, November 6th, 6:30 pm
- Tuesday, November 19th, 9:30 am
- Wednesday, December 4th, 6:30 pm
- Tuesday, December 17th, 9:30 am
Evening inquiry meetings are in Howell Hall in the downtown mall (1604 Market St.) and daytime inquiry meetings are in the Adoptions/Licensing Office in the downtown mall (1620 Market St.). Please call (530) 225-5554 for directions, and for instructions to get in, as mall doors are locked at 6:00 pm.
Foster care licensing services:
1550 California St. (corner of Yuba Street), Redding
Tammy Ledford, licensing, (530)229-8122
Diana Leland, licensing, (530)225-5793
Foster Parent Resource Page