- A California Marriage License is a permit to get married; you are NOT officially married until a marriage ceremony is performed within the state of California by a recognized wedding officiant.
- California Marriage License applications are processed Monday through Friday, in the County Clerk's Office, located at 1643 Market Street, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. The process may take 20 to 30 minutes.
- Payment may be made by cash, preprinted checks, or money orders made payable to Shasta County Clerk. Credit or debit cards are also accepted with additional convenience fee.
- A Marriage License is valid for 90 days. Do NOT get your license more than 90 days before your wedding day.
- Blood tests are no longer required.
- If either party is under 18 years of age, a court order must be obtained prior to issuance of the license by contacting Court Services at (530) 225-5707.
- Both parties must appear in person and present their current ID containing their picture, birth date, and signature.
- You may fill out and print the online Public Marriage License application to bring into the office or the application is available for you to complete at the office.
- Birth name of parents includes full first, middle and last names. Mother’s last name is her maiden name.
- If there has been a prior marriage for either party, the month, day, and year that marriage ended is required to complete the application.
- The New Name fields may NOT be changed once the Marriage License has been issued.
- A Shasta County Deputy Commissioner of Civil Marriages may perform a marriage ceremony in the County Clerk's office, located at 1643 Market Street, Monday thru Friday between the hours of 8:30am – 11:00am and 2:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- You are requested to make an appointment in advance by calling (530) 225-5730.
- Ceremonies are performed in our conference room when available.
- You need to have at least one witness.
- You may have 15 guests attend your ceremony. The County Clerk’s office is a public office so we kindly ask that you please be aware of staff conducting business with other customers.
Deputy Commissioner for a Day
After the Ceremony
- Once the wedding ceremony has taken place, it is the Officiant’s responsibility to return the completed Public Marriage License, either by mail or in person, to the Shasta County Recorder's Office located at 1450 Court Street, Suite 208, Redding, CA 96001, for recording.
- If there are any alterations, erasures, white-out, or write-overs made on the license, it will be the Officiants responsibility to complete an affidavit for a Duplicate Marriage License. There is a $26 fee for this process.
- The Shasta County Recorder's Office charges $15 for each Certified Marriage Certificate.
- If either party is changing their last name, they need to take the Certified Copy FIRST to the Social Security Office located at 2660 Park Marina Dr #A in Redding, 866-964-1236 and THEN to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) located at 2135 Civic Center Dr in Redding, 800-777-0133.
Congratulations & Best Wishes
|DOCUMENT ||FEE |
|Public Marriage License / Certificate of Marriage, Declaration of Marriage & Non-Clergy Marriage ||$72.00 |
|Civil Marriage Ceremony ||$24.00 |
|Confidential Marriage License* ||$77.00 |
|Certified copy of Confidential Marriage License ||$15.00 |
|Duplicate of a Public Marriage License or Confidential Marriage License ||$26.00 |
|Affidavit to amend a Confidential Marriage License (after 1st year - includes certified copy) ||$23.00 |
|Certificate of No Record ||$15.00 |
|Deputy Commissioner for a Day ||$35.00 |
* A confidential license is available to couples that declare they are unmarried, not minors and have been living together. The confidential marriage will not be made a part of the public record. In order to obtain a certified copy after you are married, you must appear in person and show identification or present a certificate by mail prepared by a notary attesting to the identification of either party.