- A California Marriage License is a permit to get married; you are NOT officially married until a marriage ceremony is performed within the state of California by a recognized wedding officiant, and recorded at the appropriate county office.
- A Marriage License is valid for 90 days. Do NOT get your license more than 90 days before your wedding day.
- If either party is under 18 years of age, a court order must be obtained prior to issuance of the license by contacting Court Services at (530) 225-5707.
- Blood tests are no longer required.
- Marriage License applications are processed in the County Clerk's Office located at 1643 Market Street, in Redding, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Allow 20 to 30 minutes for processing time.
- Payment may be made by cash, preprinted checks, or money orders made payable to Shasta County Clerk. Credit or debit cards are also accepted with additional convenience fee.
- Both parties must appear in person and present their current ID containing their picture, birth date, and signature.
- You may fill out and print the Public Marriage License Application, bring into the office. The application is also available at the office.
- Birth name of parents includes full first, middle and last names. Mother’s last name is her maiden name.
- If there has been a prior marriage for either party, the month, day, and year that marriage ended is required to complete the application.
- The New Name fields may NOT be changed once the Marriage License has been issued.
- A Shasta County Deputy Commissioner of Civil Marriages is available to perform a marriage ceremony in our conference room at the County Clerk's office, located at 1643 Market Street, Monday thru Friday between the hours of 8:30am – 11:00am and 2:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- You are requested to make an appointment in advance by calling (530) 225-5730.
- You need to have at least one witness.
- You may have 15 guests attend your ceremony. The County Clerk’s office is a public office so we kindly ask that you please be aware of staff conducting business with other customers.
Deputy Commissioner for a Day
After the Ceremony
- Once the wedding ceremony has been performed, it is the Officiant’s responsibility to return the completed Marriage License, either by mail or in person.
- Public Marriage Licenses must be returned to the Shasta County Recorder's Office for recording to 1450 Court Street, Suite 208, Redding, CA 96001.
- Confidential Marriage Licenses must be returned to the Shasta County Clerk's Office for recording to 1643 Market Street, Redding, CA 96001.
- If there are any alterations, erasures, white-out, or write-overs made on the license, it will be the Officiants responsibility to complete an affidavit for a Duplicate Marriage License. There is a $26 fee for this process.
- A fee of $15 will be charged for each Certified Marriage Certificate.The application for a Certified copy of Public Marriage Certificate can be found at the Shasta County Recorder's Office.
- In order to obtain a Certified Copy of a Confidential Marriage Certificate after you are married, you must complete the application for Certified Copy of Confidential Marriage, appear in person and show identification or present a certificate by mail prepared by a notary attesting to the identification of either party.
- If either party is changing their last name, they need to take the Certified Copy FIRST to the Social Security Office located at 2660 Park Marina Dr #A in Redding, 866-964-1236 and THEN to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) located at 2135 Civic Center Dr in Redding, 800-777-0133.
Congratulations & Best Wishes
|DOCUMENT ||FEE |
|Public Marriage License / Certificate of Marriage, Declaration of Marriage & Non-Clergy Marriage ||$72.00 |
|Civil Marriage Ceremony ||$24.00 |
|Confidential Marriage License* ||$77.00 |
|Certified copy of Confidential Marriage License ||$15.00 |
|Duplicate of a Public Marriage License or Confidential Marriage License ||$26.00 |
|Affidavit to amend a Confidential Marriage License (after 1st year - includes certified copy) ||$23.00 |
|Certificate of No Record ||$15.00 |
|Deputy Commissioner for a Day ||$35.00 |
* A confidential license is available to couples that declare they are unmarried, not minors and have been living together. The confidential marriage will not be made a part of the public record.