- A California Marriage License is a permit to get married; you are NOT officially married until a marriage ceremony is performed anywhere in the state of California by a recognized wedding officiant.
- California Marriage License applications are processed Monday through Friday, in the County Clerk's Office, located at 1643 Market Street, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. The process may take 20 to 30 minutes.
- Payment may be made by cash, preprinted checks, or money orders made payable to Shasta County Clerk. Credit or debit cards are NOT accepted.
- A Marriage License is valid for 90 days. Do NOT get your license more than 90 days before your wedding day.
- Blood tests are no longer required.
- If either party is under 18 years of age, a court order must be obtained prior to issuance of the license by contacting Court Services at (530) 225-5707.
- Both parties must appear in person and present their current ID containing their picture, birth date, and signature.
- You may fill out and print the online application for a Public Marriage License to bring into the office.
- Birth name of parents includes full first, middle and last names. Mother’s last name would be her maiden name.
- If there has been a prior marriage for either party, the month, day, and year that marriage ended needs to be known.
- The New Name fields may NOT be changed once the Marriage License has been issued.
- Please review all the information noted on both pages of the application.
- A Shasta County Deputy Commissioner of Civil Marriages may perform a marriage ceremony in the County Clerk's office, located at 1643 Market Street, Monday thru Friday between the hours of 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- You are requested to make an appointment in advance by calling (530) 225-5730.
- Ceremonies are performed in our conference room when available.
- You need to have at least one witness.
- You may have 15 guests attend your ceremony. The County Clerk’s office is a public office so we kindly ask that you please be aware of staff conducting business with other customers.
Deputy for a Day
- If you have someone special you would like to perform your wedding ceremony, Shasta County Clerk's office now offers a Deputy for a Day program. Please review the documents listed below for requirements and procedures. You may bring in a completed application or fill one out in our office.
Deputy for a Day Requirements
After you are Married
- Once the wedding has taken place, it is the Officiant’s responsibility to return the completed Public Marriage License, either by mail or in person, to the Shasta County Recorder's Office located at 1450 Court Street, Suite 208, Redding, CA 96001, for recording.
- If there should be any alterations, erasures, white-out, or write-overs made on the license, it will be the Officiants responsibility to complete an affidavit for a Duplicate Marriage License. There is a $26 fee for this process.
- The Shasta County Recorder's Office charges $15 for each Certified Marriage Certificate.
- Either couple who is changing their last name, needs to take this Certified Copy FIRST to the Social Security Office located at 2660 Park Marina Dr #A in Redding, 866-964-1236 and then to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) located at 2135 Civic Center Dr in Redding, 800-777-0133.
For Marriage Licensing code see Family Code 350
Congratulations & Best Wishes
Fees NOTICE: Fee Change as of May 1, 2014
|Public Marriage License / Certificate of Marriage, Declaration of Marriage & Non-Clergy Marriage ||$72.00 |
|Civil Marriage Ceremony ||$24.00 |
|Confidential Marriage License* ||$77.00 |
|Certified copy of Confidential Marriage License ||$15.00 |
|Duplicate of a Public Marriage License or Confidential Marriage License ||$26.00 |
|Affidavit to amend a Confidential Marriage License (after 1st year - includes certified copy) ||$23.00 |
|Certificate of No Record ||$15.00 |
|Deputy for a Day ||$35.00 |
* A confidential license is available to couples that declare they are unmarried, not minors and have been living together. A confidential marriage license issued in Shasta County is only valid when the ceremony is also performed in Shasta County. The confidential marriage will not be made a part of the public record. In order to obtain a certified copy after you are married, you must appear in person and show identification or present a certificate by mail prepared by a notary attesting to the identification of either party.