"FBN" also known as Doing Business As (DBA)
- For an individual, it is a name that does not include the surname (last name) of the individual or a name that suggests the existence of additional owners such as “Company”, “& Associates” and the like.
- For a corporation, it is a name that is not the same as in the Articles of Incorporation.
- It is recommended that you search the name you want to use. You may conduct your own search in our office or click on the following link Fictitious Business Name Inquiry. For a $10 Record Search Fee, you may send a detailed request along with a self addressed stamped envelope to our mailing address.
- Filing a name does not reserve the name for your exclusive use. The County Clerk’s office cannot refuse to file an FBN statement because the name is already being used by someone else. If there is a conflict between business owners using the same or similar names, it becomes a legal matter between the business owners.
- All information contained in the statement is a PUBLIC record.
- An FBN must be filed no later than forty days from the time you start doing business.
- An FBN must be filed with the County Clerk in the county in which the registrant has his/her principal place of business.
- You may file in person at the County Clerk’s office. Applications are accepted Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. The process takes 20 to 30 minutes per application. The registrant or agent filing on behalf of the registrant shall present personal identification in the form of a California driver’s license or other government identification. Payment may be made by cash, preprinted checks, or money orders made payable to Shasta County Clerk. Credit or debit cards are NOT accepted. All necessary documents will be provided at the time of filing.
- You may file by mail; the turnaround time is approximately 5-7 business days. (Please see below Mailing an Application).
- The filer is responsible for confirming that all information in the statement is correct and complete before filing it.
- You cannot make any updates to the statement once it has been filed. Any changes require the filing of a new statement, payment of the filing fees again, and newspaper publication fees.
- FBN statements are valid for five (5) years. If at any time there are changes to the facts of the filing, for example, ownership, business name and/or address change, a new statement must be filed.
- When a business is sold to a new owner, the original owner shall file and publish a Statement of Abandonment.
- When an individual withdrawals from a multi-partner FBN, a Statement of Withdrawal may be filed and published.
- Filings must be published in a newspaper of general circulation within 30 days of filing.
- The registrant(s) must provide physical residence address under the registrant information.
- If the registrant is a corporation or an LLC, the address as listed in the Articles of Incorporation along with the State of Incorporation/Organization must be listed.
- New filings along with changes in the facts of original filings must be published by the registrant in a newspaper of general circulation in the county in which the principal place of business is located.
- The first publication must begin within thirty days of the date the statement was filed in the County Clerk’s office. The newspaper will publish once a week for four consecutive weeks. Failure to publish timely will require a new filing along with all filing fees. A list of Shasta County newspapers is provided for you at the time of filing.
- The proof of publication must be filed in the County Clerk’s office within thirty days of the last publication. Please check with the newspaper to see if they will forward the original to our office for filing.
- A reminder notice that a filing is set to expire is mailed from the County Clerk within two weeks of the expiration date. There is a 40 day grace period following the date of expiration. It is the filer’s responsibility to re-file timely.
- There is no need to republish the statement if it is filed timely and there has been no change in the information contained in the previously filed statement.
Mailing an Application:
- Complete and sign an original application and make three copies.
- Mail all pages along with payment and a self addressed stamped envelope to the County Clerk’s office. Extra postage is required.
- If application is complete, Customer, Bank, and Publication copies will be sent back to you along with instructions for each copy.
- If application is NOT complete or corrections need to be made, your original, along with your copies, payment, and return envelope will be returned to you along with a letter stating what information is missing. Please complete and return as soon as possible.
For FBN code see Business & Professions Code 14411 and 17900
We wish you the best of luck in your business endeavors!
Fees - NOTICE: MAY 1, 2014 Fees Change
|Fictitious Business Name Statement (FBN) ||$35.00 ||$37.00 |
|Each additional Registrant or Business on Statement ||$ 5.00 ||$ 6.00 |
|Certified copy of any statement regarding an FBN ||$10.00 ||$ 7.25 |
|Statement of Abandonment ||$17.00 ||$23.00 |
|Statement of Withdrawal of Partner ||$17.00 ||$23.00 |
|Record copy of any statement regarding an FBN ||$ 5.00 ||$ 5.00 |
|Record Search Fee ||$10.00 ||$ 5.00 |
|FBN printout report - per month ||$20.00 ||$19.00 |