"FBN" also known as Doing Business As (DBA)
Fictitious Business Name Statement
Statement of Abandonment
- When a business closes or is sold to a new owner, the original owner shall file and publish a Statement of Abandonment.
Statement of Withdrawal
- When an individual is interested in withdrawing from a multi-partner FBN, they must file and publish a Statement of Withdrawal.
Fictitious Business Name Inquiry
- It is recommended that you search the name you want to use. You may conduct a search by visiting our office or select the Inquiry link.
- All information contained in the statement is a PUBLIC record.
- Filing a name does not reserve the name for your exclusive use. The County Clerk’s office cannot refuse to file an FBN statement because the name is already being used by someone else. If there is a conflict between business owners using the same or similar names, it becomes a legal matter between the business owners.
- An FBN must be filed no later than 40 days from the time you start doing business with the County Clerk in the county in which the registrant has his/her principal place of business.
- You may file in person at the County Clerk’s office or by mail (see Mailing an Application).
- Applications are accepted Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. The process takes 10 to 15 minutes per application.
- The registrant or agent filing on behalf of the registrant shall present personal identification in the form of a California driver’s license or other government identification.
- Payment may be made by cash, pre-printed checks or money orders made payable to Shasta County Clerk, Credit or debit cards are also accepted with an additional convenience fee.
- All necessary documents will be provided at the time of filing.
- The filer is responsible for confirming that all information in the statement is correct and complete before filing it.
- You cannot make any updates to the statement once it has been filed. Any changes require the filing of a new statement, payment of the filing fees again, and newspaper publication fees.
- FBN statements are valid for five (5) years. If at any time there are changes to the facts of the filing, for example, ownership, business name and/or address change, a new statement must be filed.
- The registrant(s) must provide physical residence address under the registrant information.
- If the registrant is a corporation or an LLC, the address as listed in the Articles of Incorporation along with the State of Incorporation/Organization must be listed.
- New filings along with changes in the facts of original filings must be published by the registrant in a newspaper of general circulation in the county in which the principal place of business is located.
- The first publication must begin within 30 days of the date the statement was filed in the County Clerk’s office. The newspaper will publish once a week for four consecutive weeks. Failure to publish timely will require a new filing along with all filing fees. A list of Shasta County newspapers is provided for you at the time of filing.
- The proof of publication must be filed in the County Clerk’s office within thirty days of the last publication. Please check with the newspaper to see if they will forward the original to our office for filing.
- A reminder notice that a filing is set to expire is mailed from the County Clerk within two weeks of the expiration date. There is a 40 day grace period following the date of expiration. It is the filer’s responsibility to re-file timely.
- There is no need to republish the statement if it is filed timely and there has been no change in the information contained in the previously filed statement.
Mailing an Application:
- Complete and sign an original application and make three copies.
- Mail all pages along with payment and a self addressed stamped envelope to the County Clerk’s office. Extra postage is required.
- If application is complete, Customer, Bank, and Publication copies will be sent back to you along with instructions for each copy.
- If application is NOT complete or corrections need to be made, your original, along with your copies, payment, and return envelope will be returned to you along with a letter stating what information is missing. Please complete and return as soon as possible.
State of California - Secretary of State - Business Programs
Business and Professions Code 14411 and 17900
We wish you the best of luck in your business endeavors!
|DOCUMENT ||FEES |
|Fictitious Business Name Statement (FBN) ||$37.00 |
|Each additional Registrant or Business on Statement ||$ 6.00 |
|Statement of Abandonment ||$23.00 |
|Statement of Withdrawal from Partnership Certified copy of any statement regarding an FBN ||$23.00 |
|Certified copy of any statement regarding an FBN ||$ 7.25 |
|Record copy of any statement regarding an FBN ||$ 5.00 |
|Record Search Fee ||$ 5.00 |
|FBN printout report - per month ||$19.00 |